Wednesday, March 12, 2008

MONKEY OFF MY BACK


I have had the opportunity to work a few hours in the evenings at a Urgent Care facility. The other night I had to place three IV's. I struggled with all three. I went home frustrated and angry. I don't get to do IV's that often and I work very little. I had had reasonable success so far in my job with IV's and was frustrated to have such a bad night. It does take skill and a bit of confidence when placing them. Many times you have to place them under very stressful circumstances. Obviously I am a little rusty and therefore my confidence level is a little low. Missing three in a row did not help my confidence at all. Following that night I left a message with my supervisor to see if there was a skills day or a day that I could practice. She did not respond to my request and I was felling frustrated. I worked again on Monday night I found myself feeling very anxious about the possibility of missing another IV. The doctor I was working with overheard my concern and immediately stuck out her arm. We had a small break and she told me to get my stuff together and practice on her. Talk about pressure. Everyone from the lab, x-ray, front desk, and even the other doctor came to watch me place an IV in her arm. I made two attempts with two different types of needles. I HIT BOTH THE FIRST TIME. They both ran well and I was relieved. The doctor sat me down and told me that my technique was fine and that I just probably had a bad day. I felt that too, but definitely appreciated the practice.

Would you give your arm up for practice on a rusty R.N.? To be honest, I am not sure I would have. Thanks again for you help Dr "P".

6 comments:

cpcox99 said...

Crys - I'm glad that you got that monkey off your back. I bet you really were feeling frustrated. That is a nice doctor....I don't know that I'd give my arm up for ANYONE to practice putting an IV in. :O)

Jessi said...

Wow. That doctor is impressive. And so are you!

Abbi said...

What a neat story!!

Anonymous said...

Dreamer-
I told you I'd let you practice on me!

Crystal said...

I know. I should have put that in the blog. You are amazingly trusting of your wife and I love you for it

Marian said...

A friend of mine who was fighting cancer told this story about IVs. She said she told one nurse how well she did with IVs and the nurse said when she gave the IV she would kneel inconspicuously as she started on the IV and say a silent prayer. That worked for her.