Sunday, January 06, 2008

Top Ten Memories of 2007

1. In June, Dale kidnapped me and took me to Los Angeles to see Wicked. I have been wanting to see it for years. It was an amazing trip. It was great spending time with my husband and realizing we haven't lost that loving feeling. The play was unbelievable. It gave me chills. Plus I got to brag to all my friends and neighbors about how wonderful my husband is. What was probably the most amazing part was that Dale actually pulled one over on me. I am pretty difficult to trick and this was huge. Kudos to all my family and friends who knew about it, but didn't say a thing.

2. I am normally not into things, but for a little more than two years Dale and I have been saving up to buy a new couch. On our list of other things we wanted was a new T.V. Every occasion for those two years (i.e. Birthday, anniversary, Mother's and Father's Day, etc) Dale and I have given each other cards expressing love, but no presents. Just the thought that some day we would get a new couch and television. We have looked and looked, but with no luck for the right couch. Our anniversary is in December. We had planned to drive about an hour away and purchase a couch that was good, but probably to large for what we wanted. We were tired of waiting. An snow storm came and made it to difficult to leave our little valley. We were disappointed and decided to check the furniture stores here in town again. We walked in, told the sales people what we wanted and they led us the couch we had been hoping to find and a huge 40% off sign was hanging on it. With the holiday sale, we also paid no tax, got an additional $350 off, free delivery, and a DVD with DVD player for $7. It is so fun to save and save then get what you have been saving for. We later found the perfect T.V. and had an amazing Christmas.

3. In December, Preston also got baptized. We had put off his baptism because several of our family members were on vacation the first month. He was scheduled to be baptized Dec 1st at 10:00 until an unexpected change in time conflicted with a National Championship football game that everyone wanted to attend. We scrambled and rearranged everything so that everyone could make both. The morning came and so did a large snow storm. My family traveling called less than half way to our home and said they had to stop because of the weather. Once again we scrambled. No one on the program was going to make it. We had no pianist, no prayers, not to mention no talks. We were even concerned about having enough priesthood. I don't think it fazed Preston at all. He had his two buddies and his mom and dad and that was enough. I was so proud of him. It was a very memorable day and the fresh white snow seemed appropriate.

4. Dale is in charge of finding speakers every third month in our ward. Dale had tried several youth in September, but none had accepted. It was Friday night and still no speaker. His parents were struggling and he needed to leave suddenly to be with them. He turned to Natalie and asked if she would speak. The bishop was concerned about having her speak because she was only 10, but agreed. Natalie and I worked on a talk Saturday and she got up and gave an amazing talk. She said later that she was pretty sure at least 50 people told her so. I was so proud, I couldn't contain it. She will be an amazing public speaker.

5. My little four year old Logan proposed to his girlfriend of nearly two years this year. He awoke on Saturday morning and said he wanted to propose. I kind of ignored him and went about my day. He then convinced Preston to write a proposal. He ran it to her home and left it at her doorstep, rang the doorbell, and ran. She said "No" because she thinks it would be gross to kiss. Poor Logan. He is determined to change her mind. They still are best friends.

6. Julia began walking this year. She was about 13 months before she figured it out, but she has not slowed down since. She is a flirt and has got the teacher's quorum of our ward fighting over her. She runs from door to door to play with the young men posted there during Sacrament meeting.

7. My father got a new job with BYU this year. We were so excited because we knew it would be a change that was much needed. He is much more appreciated at his new job, and the spark is coming back to his eyes. The extra bonus is that they will be much closer to our family so we can visit more often.

8. Wedding #1. Chad and Abbi got married in June. YEAH!!!! Chad and I are less than two years apart in age, but our lives the last ten years could not be more different. We having been wanting Chad to meet someone who is as cool as he is. We got worried when he became a doctor that he would now attract the wrong type of girls. Instead, he attracted Abbi. I've known Abbi since I married her uncle 13 years ago. We have been equally impressed with her. Who would have thought the two would make such a cute couple? ME!!!! Jon, I know you are reading this and Racheal is still available. Just think about it.

9. Wedding #2. A bit of a shocker. About the time of Chad's wedding my sister began talking about a boy she had been seeing recently. His name was Preston. He came to the Martin reunion and we got to meet him for the first time. He treated Caytee so well. Plus he wore awesome shorts. Things took off from there and two days after Thanksgiving we were in the Manti Temple seeing Caytee married. It was a great experience having all of my siblings and parents in the temple at a time when you are reflecting on what you are thankful for. Caytee was a beautiful bride and know we have to come up with nicknames to distinguish between Caytee's husband and my son.

10. This year I worked hard to have Christmas ready early so I could enjoy the holidays. For several years I have not been very fun to be around in December. Thanks to online shopping and some good preparation I had a very memorable Christmas. I enjoyed everyday with the kids during Christmas break. My kids are growing up so fast and this next year Natalie will be in Young Women's. I want to be able to have great memories like those of this year to treasure we the are grown. I am working now to make sure I am ready for next year too.

6 comments:

Kjirsten said...

I loved your top 10! What a great family you and Dale have. Now who was the genius who put you two together? I wonder what your top 10 for '08 will be!

Anonymous said...

I wrote a marriage proposal for Rachael and put it on her doorstep. She also said "no" because of the whole kissing factor. Tell Logan I feel his pain.


-Jon

Abbi said...

Jon, that comment just made my day. I laughed so hard. You are too funny.

Crystal, what a wonderful year you've had! And I'm so happy Chad and I made your top ten! I feel special.

P.S. If you want to help Chad out in kidnapping me to go to Wicked, I'm all for that. :)

Michelle said...

Your 2007 was a good year! And 2008 will be even better! You do have a great family. We love you guys so much!

cpcox99 said...

What a fabulous year! You had so many memorable experiences!!

Michelle Pyne said...

Thanks for sharing your top ten! It was a wonderful year! I can't believe Natalie will be in Young Women next year. Oh My Goodness! And Preston's baptism was an adventure as well as a spiritual experience. I love your snow comment. Such a cute story about Logan! You never forget your first love..... Pretty soon Julia will be going into Young Women too if we don't watch out. Thumbs up to Dale for the kidnapping! How fun!!