Julia is one now and definitely knows what she wants. Her method of communicating her wants is less than desired though. She screams at the top of her lungs. I recognize that it is effective and because of this, she uses this method more and more often. I am trying to decide how to stop this. I am attempting to teach sign language, I encourage soft chatter with praise, I try not to respond (this is the most difficult to do). Any other suggestions? Preston calls her a banshee. Yes, it is that bad.
Saturday, August 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Happy Birthday to Julia!!! And Carson is a screamer too. I think they are twins seperated at birth! :))
Ai-yi-yi! It sounds like you are doing all the right things! It will just take time for them to take effect, I guess. Good luck to you all!
We used to call Lydia "Lady Hawk" because she used to use a super high-pitched scream when she didn't get her way. She did eventually outgrow it though. Good luck!
We have tried it all with our kids...Jan had great lungs. When he'd start up we all whispered to see if he caught on, it worked for a while. When that wore off, we all started screaming when he popped off (that one didn't work well) Once we all tried crying when he screamed and the reaction on that was pretty funny. Anyway, whatever you try you are bound to come away with some fun memories. (Joe says since Dale is so perfect, let him figure it out.)
Sounds like you are doing all that you should. It isn't easy, but they do just seem to grow out of it at some point...at least ya hope they do. She is a cutie pie! My almost 3 year old is getting a little better - she has always been a screamer as well. UGH!
Post a Comment