I have a extremely verbal four year old child. He talks all the time to anyone and everyone. Especialy me. He has an amazing tactic of asking me sometimes over twenty times for what he wants. If I say no he say why not. I explain, while looking him in the eyes, and 10 seconds later he is asking again. Then comes the WHINING. AGH!!! It is not just wanting things, he just wants to talk all day long. He talks to his toys, his imaginary friends, objects in the room. He makes up new words for things and then tells me I need to call them these words. He also has the amazing ability to ACT as though he doesn't hear a word I say. I have caught him several times when I ask him to do something he doesn't want to do saying "WHAT, WHAT, WHAT" Or, I'll ask him to pick up toys and he acts as though he has no clue what it is I want him to do. HELP, HELP, HELP!!!!! It is driving me nuts and at the end of the day I really cannot take any more from him. Getting angry at him doesn't work, following through with threats hasn't worked. What else is there. He has my full attention all day long. Play groups have been difficult because there are few little kids his age that don't go to day care around. We have friends over about three times a week and that has been helpful. It is my reaction that I know needs to change, but one night on a date with Dale I said, "Can we just be quiet for a little while, I never have quiet.
Wednesday, April 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Oh, that is frustrating! Logan is such an intelligent little kid. Colby does the same thing to me about choosing what he wants to hear and it drives me crazy too! I think PATIENCE! I need to have patience. These phases only last so long (hopefully)! :)
Wow, what a kid! Maybe he's a little too smart for his own good. :)
Sometimes just listening to the boys wears me out more than their physical activity does. It takes so much energy, focus, and PATIENCE to listen to them all the time!
Um, maybe you can start a new family game called the "Quiet Game." When you play you see if you can not say anything for 3, 5, 10 or however many minutes. The winner gets a popcicle. You have my utmost sympathy! It sounds like Logan is going to be an English professor, a great writer, or a journalist when he grows up!
I think he and Emily would be great friends. Logan could talk and Emily could SING. They would wear each other out. :)
Julia was doing the "WHAT WHAT WHAT" thing to me too until I finally told her if she really couldn't hear me, she needed to say "Can you speak up please?" and do you know, she's saying it now! It's a lot more pleasant to hear than "WHAT??". :)
Post a Comment