This last Sunday was stake conference. We are the 12th ward and know that several wards in our stake need to be split and were expecting this to happen as well as a possible split of the stake. The attendance was very large with this expectation, but it did not happen. I decided to be in the choir this time, since it would be the only time that I would be able to sit on the stand while Dale sat with the four children. Normally it is vice versa. Dale did an excellent job with the kids and I really enjoyed the meeting.
A couple stood and told about becoming active and being sealed as a family in the temple. The husband spoke of how he felt that people were judging him because he did not attend church. He stated he later learned it was himself who was judging others who went to church. His wife made a comment that really struck me. She said, "We both knew the church was true, but we had to decided if it was worth it". I find myself having this battle on a much smaller scale at times. Callings get overwhelming. Seeing how much you paid at tithing settlement is sometimes challenging when you are saving for items you really want NOW. Having to work very hard on Saturdays so you can have a day of rest on Sunday. I could name many others. I, like this couple, though believe it is worth it. I am happy. The quote by President Hinckley in the youth New Year's fireside was used. "Be stupid and be miserable or be smart and be happy". I know that the choice to live the gospel is not always easy and many time the rewards come later not immediately. I see the rewards though and will keep it up.
I am so impressed with those who have not always followed the gospel who change their lives so dramatically to live the gospel. It can not be easy to start following the word of wisdom, law of tithing, attend church weekly, pray and read the scriptures. There is a definite life style change. It must be worth it if they are willing to do all these things. One man we knew told us that he was more afraid of what would happen if he went back to living the life he lived before the gospel than the effort it took to live the gospel and what former friends said about him because he lived it. He was afraid of losing the blessings and joy he had received by living the gospel.
The last insight from conference was from a song we sang. It was "High on a Mountain Top". I have been singing the last line wrong. I sang, "On Zion's mount behold it stands" A mountain in Old Testament time represented their temple. So singing it the way I have it means look at the temple up on the hill. It should be sung, "On Zion's mount behold it stand". Just an "S" missing, but the meaning changed. Now it means look at the temple up on the hill and now get up there in it. I like the difference.
Wednesday, January 17, 2007
STAKE CONFERENCE
Posted by Crystal at 11:06 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment