Wednesday, March 11, 2009

THE LITTLE PROJECT THAT COULD

Yesterday was the Regional History Fair. All of the middle schools in our county sent students with their projects to compete. There were over 80 exhibits competing and Natalie was chosen to be one of them representing her school. I went as a chaperon and was able to see all of the exhibits. There were some that were over the top. One in particular was off the charts. I wish I had taken a picture. It was on Dr Seuss and had a miniature scenery from How the Grinch Stole Christmas on top. It had Dr Seuss's name carved into seuss style lettering on the top and had recessed lighting. That was just the top of the exhibit. You can imagine how the rest looked. I felt Natalie had done a good job on hers and learned a lot about her topic "Eleanor Roosevelt. I worked to prepare Natalie to lose because how do you compete with recessed lighting. (I know you know several 14 year olds who know how to wire recessed lighting). The exhibit awards were last and we heard that the 2nd place winner was from our school. We were excited because up until then no one from our school had won. Natalie's name was then called. She looked at me, I looked at her, then we both looked at her teacher. Natalie began to laugh and cry at the same time. It was one of my top five mom moments on record. She had wanted to give up on the project month before and I told her that if she pushed past this wall it would be worth it. She told me yesterday that I was right. I was so happy that the judges looked past amazing presentation and focused on content. I was so sure we didn't have a chance I didn't bring my camera. Where is Audra when you need her? Luckily there was a cute mom there who made this fun announcement for us.
http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/openTheBox?sendevent=4f4445794d4459334d3377784e7a55334d5451774e513d3d0d0a&sb=1

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Yeah for Natalie!! That is FANTASTIC! I love the smilebox thing. She looks so proud! I am so excited for her!

cpcox99 said...

Congrats Natalie (and Crystal!) We're very happy for you both. Way to go Nat!!

Caytee said...

Congrats Miss Howe! That is pretty darn neat! I am so proud of you! You are growing up WAY TOO quick.

Shelley said...

Congratulations Natalie!!!! Good Job. We are so proud of you.

Heather said...

Way to go Natalie! What a great project!

Michelle Pyne said...

Congratulations to Natalie on a great project!! Way to go! You'll have to get your Mom to take a picture of your project and put it on her blog, so we can see it too.

Marian said...

Congratulations Natalie. You are so smart. What great encouragement from you Crystal. You are a great mom. Way to go. Love, Marian