Wednesday, February 13, 2008

GLAD FOR A MEDICAL BACKGROUND


Sunday was a crazy day for our family. Early in the morning we got a report from Dale's family that his mother had fallen down the steps and injured herself. His brother lives nearby and took her to the hospital. Dale received reports throughout the day on her condition. Finally in the afternoon after receiving conflicting reports, I was able to find out exactly what her condition was. She had a fracture on one of the vertebrae in her neck. She is going to need to wear a neck collar for three months and the doctors decided against surgery. She has a bad gash on her head that required stitches and is black and blue and sore all over. Her condition has improved and she is being released to a care facility today.

Soon after this news, my neighbor called and asked if I would come and check on her baby who has a cold that was worsening. I took my stethoscope and went to listen to her lungs. After church another friend called because her 9 month old had a high fever and she was having trouble knowing how to act. I talked her through it on the phone and continued to check up on them throughout the day.

That evening my grandmother called with several symptoms that indicated a possible heart attack. I convinced her to go to find a neighbor to take her to the hospital. She did not have a heart attack, but the pain continues. I am continuing to check in with her.

At nearly 9:00 that night a young man from our ward called asking if I could take his blood pressure for an assignment due the next day. He came over and I helped him out.

Finally, I am helping a scout today finish his first aid merit badge. I knew that a nursing degree would help my family, but realize now that this knowledge can bring peace in troubled times and help others in need. I am extremely glad for a medical background.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

And you are a GREAT nurse! I know we have called you many times with medical questions. And it is so great that you are so willing to share your knowledge. Thank you!!! We sure love you! And I am sorry to hear about Dale's mom.

Jessi said...

I LOVE having medical professionals in the family. You do such a great service to all of the people you lend your expertise to.

cpcox99 said...

We're grateful for your medical experience too! Thanks for answering so many of our questions throughout the years. You are such a big help to everyone. You're a great example Crys!!

Michelle Pyne said...

We all appreciate having someone to go to when we need answers to medical questions! Thanks for all your service and help!