Monday, February 25, 2008

AUSTEN OBSESSION

One of my favorite shows is Masterpiece Theater on PBS. For the last month and a half they have been doing a series called the Complete Jane Austen. Each Sunday has been a different movie portraying a Jane Austen classic. First came Persuasion on January 13th.

Sally Hawkins appears as Anne Elliot, a woman destined for spinsterhood after a proposal eight years earlier. Then her spurned suitor reappears. Loved it. A little to much running around, but overall one of my favorites of the series.

Next came Northanger Abby on January 20th. The only Austen book I have not read.

In a medieval house that appeals to her most lurid fantasies, romance addict Catherine Moreland (Felicity Jones) begins a relationship with the younger son of the estate. This was a little bit racy at times. I enjoyed it, but not as much as others.

Third Mansfield Park on January 27th.
After being sent to live at Mansfield Park, Fanny Price (Billie Piper) navigates a labyrinth of intrigues and affairs among its occupants. I have seen other versions of this book and found myself enjoying this one as much as others. I especially loved the ending.


Feb. 3: Miss Austen Regrets
Courtship she knew well; only the last act eluded her. A film biography that dramatizes Jane Austen’s lost loves. I have read the biography of Jane Austen and knew that this would have to be all supposition because a majority of her writings were burned by her sister. The only real writings of Jane Austen were letter she had sent her niece Fanny. This being said, I did not like the liberties they took to make Austen come alive. I felt they stretched many things a little too far.

The next on the schedule was my all time favorite Pride and Prejudice version that no one will ever be able to replicate. So, being wise, they didn't even try.
Colin Firth is Mr. Darcy and Jennifer Ehle is Elizabeth Bennet in the definitive adaptation of the most-loved of all Austen novels.

The final two are yet to come. I am worried because I love the movie renditions of these movies so much that it will take a lot to impress me.

Emma on March 23rd. Kate Beckinsale stars in the title role as the tireless matchmaker who professes no interest in matrimony for herself, only for her orphaned protégée, Harriet Smith (Samantha Morton).
The Emma with Gwenyth Paltrow is so fun and to this day one of my favorite movies. I noticed that this Emma is an older version that has already come out. I will let you know how I like it.

Finally Sense and Sensibility. The question is, can it hold up to Emma Thompson's version? It is a new version and I am most anxious to see it on Mar. 30 & Apr. 6.

Though poor, levelheaded Elinor Dashwood (Hattie Morahan) and her impulsive sister Marianne (Charity Wakefield) attract a trio of promising gentlemen.
For all of you who are not familiar with Masterpiece Theater and are wishing they had watched these earlier movies, I noticed that next week they are replaying Persuasion on our PBS station. The others may also be replayed. The week before Jane Austen started a new version of Jane Eyre was on. It was definitely worth watching too. They will all appear on video soon, so look on Netflicks or I can always get them at my local library. For more details look up your schedule at PBS.org.

My favorite part about watching these so far has been having Natalie(11) with me. She is becoming as obsessed as her mother.

8 comments:

Emily said...

What a great post! My mom called me at the beginning of the series to inform me of the great shows. I love, love, love it!!! Thanks for the reviews, Crystal.

Caytee said...

I am right there with you. Even though I haven't been watching you, I am a definite fan...Probably because of you! Good to talk to you for a sec today! sure do love you!

Kjirsten said...

OOOO Baby! I have love these, too. Don't call me between 8-10:00 pm Sunday night.

Abbi said...

Jane Austen is timeless.

Michelle Pyne said...

To my great disappointment, I found out about these too late to watch some of them. I hope they will be rentable at some future time! Please please email me and remind me of those upcoming. I will record them to watch later. Then we can we can have a Jane Austen discussion.

Michelle Pyne said...

I did see the new version of Jane Eyre and loved it!

LostThoughts said...

Personally I can't get enough of these ;)-- oh, and Kung Fu movies, Rambo, Rocky, etc.

Curt

Unknown said...

I heart Jane Austen. Enough Said. haha