Saturday, I rode my bike with Natalie and two of her friends to a mini golf course. It is near our home, but I felt that I needed to lead the way so that we made it there safely. I noticed early into our trip that being it front made it very difficult to check back on the girls behind me. I realized that to make sure everyone was safe I really needed to be in the back and let someone else lead.
I have always had a deep driven drive to lead or be in the front of the pack. Staying back and letting someone else take the lead is difficult for me. I know it might seem funny, but sitting back on a fun 2-3 mile ride was tough for me. On the way home, I decided that I was just going to enjoy the view from behind. Natalie took the lead and did a great job. We got off course a couple of times, but it was a fun detour.
I am in a place in my life where being in charge of everything is not possible. I would love to do it, but it is truly impossible. I realized Saturday, that instead of being frustrated about this fact (which I have been doing for awhile), I am going to enjoy the ride and the occasional detours. It is a work in progress, but I do feel a definite shift in attitude.
Monday, October 15, 2007
Leading vs. Following
Posted by Crystal at 11:45 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Bravo Crystal! What a great attititude. Kids need a chance to proactice leadership, there will be times when they down right wrestle it out of your hands. But the Lord needs leaders in this next generation, good for you for letting that happen.
You are a good mom Chrystal! You are teaching your kids to lead, too. That is being a good leader! You are awesome!
I can relate. I have to do a lot of following at work, and sometimes I wish I could just be in charge for a day. But I think there is a time and a season for leading and following, and I need to remember that neither one is better or more important.
Such an important lesson! Thank you for sharing it with us.
I am better at following than I am at leading. I have the opposite challenge! Sometimes I need to step up to the plate and lead with the talents I have been given. Anyway, thanks for making us think about this important lesson!
Post a Comment