Monday, August 27, 2007

MY FOUR YEAR OLD WON'T PRAY


Logan, my four year old, used to give the most adorable prayers. He would complain that others prayer's were not long enough. About two weeks ago he refused to pray. I let it go for a while and then asked him why he would not pray. He said, "Because he thinks Heavenly Father is pretend". I was a little shocked by this answer and wonder where it came from. He still refuses to pray. We told him about Daniel and the lion's den tonight and he said he would pray to not be eaten by lions. I hope it is a phase and he will change his mind and begin praying. Until then we have our prayers and give him opportunities to pray. Any other suggestions?

3 comments:

Michelle Pyne said...

It's a phase, and a great opportunity to help him realize and learn that Heavenly Father really does hear his prayers and answer them! You are doing the right thing not pushing him. I'm sure he's not the first person to think that Heavenly Father is pretend.

Jessi said...

Prayer is sometimes a hard concept for kids to understand. I say just keep giving him the opportunity to pray and bear your testimony about the importance of prayer. I doubt it'll be too long before he realizes he wants the good feelings prayer brings.

And I LOVE that picture of him. He sure is Mr. Personality!

Abbi said...

Crystal, I love you so much. Your posts just make my day. Thank you for sharing this. I think that's such a funny thing he said, and I am sure he will grow out of it in time. I can remember thinking about similar things when I was little, but over time I was able to gain a testimony that invalidated those thoughts. And that picture of him is priceless! He is so cute.