We had awesome news Friday that Chad and Abbi are finally engaged. It has been hard to get too excited about the pair until now because it would have been devastating if it did not work out because we love both so much and are related to both. I have literally had to distance myself from the relationship for this reason. I have to admit that I have loved hearing about the couple from any and all sources. After their first date, I approached Chad to see what he thought. Chad had grown fairly sensitive on the subject of dating, so I promised there and then that it would be the first and only time I would ask him about Abbi. He told me he was very impressed with her and planned on having a second date. For Chad to say this openly is HUGE!!!!! We waited to hear of a second date and to our surprise soon did. We had begun calling Chad the one date wonder. Dale and I continued to be pessimistic about the subject because if it didn't work out it would make us so sad. Dale and I agreed that if it didn't work out, we were going to blame Chad. I have tried to keep that promise of not asking about Abbi, but after the announcement Friday I have decided it is no longer a promise I am willing to keep.
It has brought my family and me so much joy to see them together. We cannot wait for June 23.
I indicated on my title that bad news needed to be shared. On the same day of getting news of the upcoming wedding, our cat Daisy was tragically killed when it ran under our van as we were pulling in after school. It has been a very difficult couple of days for my kids and the whole neighborhood as all loved our cat. Dale and I have debated whether to have pets for this very reason. It is hard to deal with loss, but having a death of a pet is a good way to teach the lesson how to deal with loss. Natalie last night through tears said, "When is he going to come again? It has been so long and he is still not here." We asked who she was talking about and realized that it was the Savior. She wanted him to come again now so she could be with her cat again. It was comforting to know that she understands the resurrection. I have struggled with a lot of guilt because I was driving the car that hit our cat. I told Natalie that I have received great comfort from the Holy Ghost and many comments that she has made including that one. It was also such a blessing to have the announcement of something so wonderful as Chad and Abbi getting married on the same day to help bring happiness in our home. We love you Chad and Abbi.
Monday, March 19, 2007
GOOD NEWS, BAD NEWS
Posted by Crystal at 8:52 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Hey Crys! It is fun to keep in touch this way. I am so sad to hear about Daisy! That is terrible, but you are right it is a good way to teach you children about loss, because they will most likely face it again in their lives, unfortunately. And I am so impressed with Natalie! She is such a special spirit and so smart! Isn't it wonderful to have the gospel that gives us the knowledge to help cope with such tragic events? We love you guys and hope you are adjusting to a home without Daisy.
Thanks Crystal!! I feel so lucky that I get to marry into such a wonderful family!...And I am so sorry about your cat. That is so hard. Something I read from the last conference issue reminded me of your post--Elder Edwards said "We can learn spiritual lessons if we can approach suffering, sorrow, or grief with a focus on Christ...[and] our suffering may give us an opportunity to know the Savior better." It sounds like you are really using this opportunity to help your children understand the Savior better.
Crystal, I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. I've had the same struggle with whether or not to have pets as well - we ended up getting a fish and Wes killed it (he bug-bombed the house without covering up the fishbowl), so I think we're done with pets for a while. I hope you're feeling better about it - it must've been hard. :( And congratulations to Chad & Abbi (even though I don't know who they are)!! I know that Crystal & Dale are great people, so if they love you guys, then you must be great people too. :)
This post makes me think of how much sorrow and hardship there is in this life, AND how much happiness and joy. We will experience both, and thank goodness for the gospel to help get us through the hard times! It gives us good perspective and hope.
Oh, and we too have been so excited about the engagement announcement! They are two of the best people! We are so happy for them!
Post a Comment