During Thanksgiving we had the opportunity to see a good portion of our extended family. Including Dale's brother and his family from Missouri. It had been nearly ten years since we had seen them. When they arrived we were so excited to see them that I think that they were overwhelmed. The parents did fine, but their children, who were teenagers now, stuck close to mom and dad for awhile until it happened. The "it" I am referring to is the magic of family. Many of the cousins they had never met and the rest they barely remembered, but soon after, the entire gaggle of cousins went of to the church to play. By the end of the day, an invite to play basketball was extended, horses were brought out, a pinata was broken. We had Thanksgiving at the church and played a game of lighting (basketball game). During the game one of the youngest cousins Derek(7) won two times. Another group had gathered at the church and we invited them to come play as well. They brought the missionaries to play with them and it was a blast. As we were leaving the church, little Derek turned to me and gave me the biggest complement a 7 year old boy could give. He said, "Aunt Crystal, nice shooting."
Aunt Sue's step-granddaughter Michelle appeared several times at the festivities. Sue hosted her husband kids and grandchildren at their home down the road, but Michelle wanted to be among the cousins as well. No one was left out in any play. Logan(3) narrowly escaped injury several times while standing under the basket attempting to shoot his little plastic ball into the hoop. Logan initially refused to come to the church, but his kind cousin Jens got his shoes on and placed him on a little wagon and brought him for me. He pulled him around the church as well as brought him home on that wagon. Little Haylie(4) saw me sitting on a table and moved her plate and drink to come sit by me. I moved a little later to be closer to my husband and she followed. She told me I am not her friend because I am her aunt.
On the way home we stopped to see my brother Chad's new home. We were having so much fun, that it got late fast and so we spent the night. I have noticed that as my children continue to associate with such wonderful family members it makes them stronger. Their self-esteem is increased. They feel that they are part of something bigger and better than themselves.
When I was in middle school I felt alone as my best friend moved. I prayed desperately for a friend, but still felt alienated. I remember thinking that even though I felt unloved at school I was loved at home. I had a beautiful aunt Shelley who was recently married to what I thought was the most handsome man ever. I remember being at a Christmas party and him telling me how beautiful I was. I was 14 with braces and in my mind not exceptionally attractive. When I heard it from him though I knew it must be true. My mother had told me the same so many times, but who believes their mother? Cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents can do sooooo much to strengthen a child by their kindness. The opposite can be true about family too. Hurtful things from people who are supposed to love you hurt the deepest.
I am truly thankful to be able to have a strong loving extended family that makes myself and my children stronger by associating with them. I am thankful for Grandma and Grandpa H* hugs every time they see you. Grandma Carol for being a great pen pal and showing my children their strengths. Grandpa Neal for always taking a tag along child when he is around (even if he doesn't have his shoes on). Kjirsten's ability to make you feel like talking to you is #1 on her priority list (even though she is cooking and hosting Thanksgiving). Joe, Alan, and Jack's kids for being great playmates to my children. Aunts and uncles who respond to any name that my children call them as they continue to try to keep all of them straight. Joe for even when he is tired bringing out the horses. Jessi, Audra, and Abbi for helping me find this way to keep in touch even though we are miles apart. Caytee for making my kids feel special. Jon for babysitting more than I know he wants to. Curtis and Carrrie for having a home open to us at any time. (Preston says I also must mention the X-box). Nathan and Michelle for thinking of us traveling and inviting us to have a meal at their home on the long road home. Chad for making the effort to come see us at our home and taking kids to Chucky Cheese.
I wanted to be part of a group so badly in middle school, but now realize I have been part of an amazing group all my life and married into one as well. Now, could you all move a little closer so we could see you more often!
Sunday, November 26, 2006
Cousins, Aunts, Uncles, and Grandparents
Posted by Crystal at 5:30 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
Thanks for this entry, Crystal! I wish I could have been there for the Thanksgiving festivities. It sounds like it was so fun. I love the H* family so, so much. It definitely has had the postive influence on me that you talked about. Thank goodness for family! I'm excited to see everyone again soon!
Post a Comment