Thursday, November 16, 2006

BEING SPECTACULAR

Last week my nine year old blew up into tears while the family was playing a game. This is not normal behavior for her, so I followed her soon after to her room. She was still crying and visibly upset. After talking for awhile I found out the problem was at school. She told me she felt different than the other girls. She told me that many girls liked to get in groups at recess and talk. She on the other hand likes to jump rope and play tetherball. She said she feels odd and like she doesn't fit in. You may remember these feelings. I sure do. I've felt them even in adulthood. Someone very wise sat down with me when I had these same feelings so severely that I was extremely discouraged and told me that I wasn't odd, I was extraordinary! That made sense because I know that I am a child of a Heavenly Father who loves me and has given me special gifts to be extraordinary while on this earth. I explained to Natalie that she too was extraordinary for these same reasons and then told her some of the gifts I noticed she has. We talked a little longer then I looked in her eyes and said, "You are", and waited for her response. She looked me in the eyes with a huge grin and said, "SPECTACULAR!" She got it. I told her the job for all those who realize this important truth is to help others see it too. When the adversary starts telling you that you are different, remember you are spectacular and look around to see who else needs to hear that too.

3 comments:

Jessi said...

What a wonderful response!

Audra said...

Happy was the day I internalized the fact that I am a daughter of God with absolute worth and NO ONE can change that. I may be different than others, but that's ok! The important thing is to love others and do the best with the gifts and talents I have been given. And to always remember that everybody else are children of God with absolute worth and gifts of their own. I learned this through the help of my mother.

Caytee said...

That is why you are my older sister...because you are just so dang smart. One day I hope that I can be just as great a mother as you!