Sunday, February 03, 2008

PINEWOOD DERBY

Last Thursday was Preston's first Pinewood Derby. Dale and he have worked on his car for a month now. I was surprised how important this car became to Dale. Dale is the 8th of 9 children and when he was in scouts his father had already done the Pinewood Derby with three other sons. Dale says little was done with his car. He lost in the early heats every year. He also remembers painfully the year his father varnished his car rather than painted it. This time around, the car needed to look just right, and I prayed that it would win at least one heat.

The races occurred Thursday and we came in 4th. Preston was at the top of nearly every race. I recommended they race it backwards one race. We did and it did not go well. We dropped nearly half a second. We were one hundreth of a second away from second and third place. I was certain Preston(and Dale) blamed me for our not getting a trophy. Dale stayed after to help clean up and told me that the scout master, whose son took third, was overjoyed. His son leaves the pack next week and has never placed in the top. They had worked extra hard this year and were so happy to win. Preston told me he was glad that we ran it backwards so Sam could win. He said he has a few more years to win a trophy. Dale eventually forgave me too. I am the more competitive of the two of us, so it was interesting to see that side of him come out.


Preston's super cool car!

Preston's scouting buddies.

The proud father and son.

P.S. One father bought a car online that was guaranteed to win. Can you believe that? I guess someone did it last year and won. They lost though. Yeah for hard work.

9 comments:

Jessi said...

What an awesome story. Way to go Preston (and Dale!).

Michelle said...

That is so great!!! Way to go Preston and Dale! I am sure it will be something Preston will always remember.

Unknown said...

I love your family crystal!! Guess what I got a blog

Anonymous said...

Blame you? Forgive you? Competitive? Which Dale are you talking about? It was just fun to be there and I was relieved we didn't come in last? Now get off my case! ;-) You can be in charge of Logan's pinewood derby!

Crystal said...

It was a fun night honey. You and Preston did an awesome job. You have to admit it was exciting to be winning and a little depressing when we realized that one run put us out of winning a trophy. I think you did such an awesome job that you can be in charge every year. Preston had a lot of fun and was so proud of his car. Thanks for all your work.

Abbi said...

I loved reading this post, and Dale's comment made me laugh. Love you guys!!

cpcox99 said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. I thought Preston's car was painted wondefully!!

Audra said...

That is so sweet!

Michelle Pyne said...

Congratulations for the best-looking car in the bunch! Your car rocks big-time!